Tuesday 4 September 2007

tamarind puree




Tamarind fruit pods have a characteristically tart flavour. They are used to add a sour taste to dishes such as sauces, curries, rice and to drinks and deserts. It is purchased in its whole, fresh form, or as a paste or concentrate, or compressed into a syrupy block.
Tamarind pulp is sold in compressed blocks.
Both ripe and immature fruit pods of tamarind provide a unique sweetish acidic flavour to dishes including meat, rice and vegetables. Green, immature fruits and flowers are used for souring dishes. Ripe fruit of sweet varieties (as pictured) are usually eaten fresh as a snack food, and ripe sour types are used for juices, syrups and sweets. Tamarind is really great in fish dishes (see recipe for fish curry)
Preparation

The pulp is usually sold dry and needs to be soaked before use. The juice is used to pickle fish and vegetables. Extracts of tamarind are used in flavouring products such as Worcestershire sauce and in a special Indian seafood pickle called 'tamarind fish'.Syrupy tamarind pulp is used to make sweets and drinks. Leaves from the tamarind tree can also be eaten as a vegetable. The pulped fruits are also used to manufacture drinks. These are often flavoured with other spices, such as ginger, pepper and lime and are sold carbonated in cans.The seeds are also edible and flour made from them can be used to bake cakes and breads. Roasted seeds are reputed to be delicious.
Tamarind Puree
300g block tamarind
Break the tamarind and cover with hot water.Use a fork (I use my hands) and squeeze the tamarind until the husks and seeds have separated from the flesh.Strain and reserve the liquid it should be thick.Use within one week, I measure them into teaspoon measures and freeze in ice cube trays and use from frozen. It is wonderful and I have been known to add a touch to some vanila ice cream it reminds me of rhubarb and custard. i love that tartness contrasted with the sweet ice cream . Delicious.

3 comments:

Nick said...

Hi,

I do enjoy your blog - it's very informative - and evocative. It makes me want to start cooking whenever I scroll through the pages!

Thanks for adding me to your link list - I have added you to mine and have recommended you to other bloggers who are interested in food.

Cheers

Nick

KawawaG said...

Hello:

I too am from the Seychelles, born on La Digue Island. My sister getting married next year, and I wanted to surprise her with "papay tournen" as favours. I am wondering if you'll be able to help me with the recipe.

Regards,

Jackie

pixen said...

This information is so interesting...thank you for sharing. I'm following your blog now :-)