These are the trinity of seychelles cuisine . Most dishes will have these three within.My larder will always contain garlic, ginger,onions amd cumin seeds. There are of course much more and I will go through all these as and when each recipe calls for it. My first recipe is for an omelette seychelles style
RECIPE; Onion omelette.
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp of sunflower/veg oil
- 1 onion thinly
- 1tbsp chopped flat leaved parsley
- 1 small green chilli
- salt , pepper to taste
Optional ingredients use one or a few of: lardons, tomatoes, green peppers.
- Crack the eggs into a bowl.With a fork break the yolks and mix until it is amalgmated
- Add the onions, chilli and parsley
- Add salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a non stick frying pan, add the cumin seeds they will start to smell very aromatic and will start to pop add the eggs at this stage .Swirl around the pan and let it set on one side. When golden brown flip the omelette on the other side.
- Cook this side lightly or to your preference , any time this dish was made for me the omelette was well cooked it really has the colour of a spanish omelette and should not be like the french which is lightly set.
serve with some good bread I love it toasted with butter and a dollop of ketchup.This is a simple and very satisfying breakfast, light lunch dish.